You made it! Here it is... the blog where you get to sit back and laugh at - or be completely horrified by - life with 5 kids, 2 parents, some frogs, a cat & a rabbit (and those are just the creatures we know about).


Whole 30 Days 5-8

Oddly enough, I feel really good on Day 8 of my Whole 30. After doing some research before I started this, I was really bracing myself for the worst. I haven't had any insane cravings, I finally stopped waking up with a hangover, and I don't feel quite so tired in the afternoon anymore. 

One thing that this experience has made me aware of is how much of my kids' food I unknowingly put in my mouth. Now that my food is restricted, I am super conscious of what I eat. More than once, I've had to stop and take something out of my mouth that I mindlessly put there. Sure, I'll make you some chocolate milk. Then I'll lick the spoon. Let me open those snacks for you. I'll pop a few in my mouth before I hand you the bag. Don't mind me as I reach over and take something off your plate! I didn't even know I was doing it until I caught one of Charlotte's Froot Loops in my mouth and had to spit it out. Who knows how many extra calories I've been eating all these years?

A downside to this diet is that the food is not convenient. I really have to plan my meals ahead of time. If I forget to pack a lunch, I can't just grab something at Dunkin' Donuts or a convenience store on my way to work. 

I do have to admit to breaking one of the Whole 30 rules. There is a strict policy about not weighing yourself during the 30 days. Too many years of joining (& quitting) Weight Watchers has left me scale obsessed. On a good note, I lost 7.7 lbs in the first week. Granted, I think I gained about 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New Year's, but it's a start. I know that the weight loss is not the most important reason for doing this, but I'm not going to deny that it made me very happy.

What's great about this is that we've cut way down on take-out as a family. Our meals have a lot more vegetables in them, too, which the kids are actually enjoying. 

Overall, the first 8 days of the Whole 30 have been fine. I had one minor cheat issue on Tuesday. My husband's aunt left a bag of candy for my kids. In it were those teeny tiny Twix Minis. I popped one in my mouth and enjoyed it immensely. I figured, it was so teeny, there wasn't much harm. Until I remembered that I have OCD and have to do everything in multiples of 4. So, I ate 3 more. Other than that, I have been so good sticking to the plan. Just keep the damn tiny chocolates out of my house!

Here's to another successful week (and looking for some new recipes)... Wish me luck!

HEY... If you enjoy the blog, why not become a follower? I'm the one who no longer has a sugar hangover. You can also stalk find me on Facebook and TwitterLike the page and follow me!

**And be sure to visit my Zazzle store. Don't you need a new coffee mug or apron??


Alexandra said...

I don't think there is one person dieting out there who hasnt cheated during it! You are doing fine - congrats! With the little ones around it is so hard not to eat sth that is forbidden. But all the running after/for/around them burns the calories so do not fret! :)

Lissie said...

Thanks, Alexandra!

Shell said...

wow, for 30 days? The longest I went was 14.

Lissie said...

I've been doing it since January 2nd. I'm hoping to do the whole thing!